Newington Art League, Inc
679 Willard Ave.
Newington, CT 06111
Revised April 10, 2013
Article I. Name and Location:
This corporation shall be known as Newington Art League, Inc and its principal office shall be located at 679 Willard Ave., Newington, CT 06111 or at such other place or places as the Board of Directors may from time to time determine.
Article II. Purpose:
This corporation has been formed under the Connecticut Non Stock Corporation Act and is organized exclusively for charitable, religious, educational and scientific purposes, including for such purposes the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under 501 (c )(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, and its objectives shall be to promote awareness of and interest in the visual arts by sponsoring, organizing and conducting demonstrations, exhibitions and educational and instructive meetings lectures and workshops focused on the history and creation of artworks and by providing an inviting, social and creative venue for local artists.
Article III. Membership:
1. Qualification shall be an active interest in the art and a willingness to participate in league activities.
2. Membership is open to all persons
3. Privileges of Membership include the right to vote, to hold office and to participate in all NAL shows.
4. The membership year shall be from September 1 till August 31.
5. Members may invite guests and prospective members to meetings a maximum of two meetings after which they shall be asked to become members.
6. The annual dues shall be reviewed by the Board annually
7. Should a new member join the league after mid-January, dues shall be prorated to half price for the period of January thru Jun only.
8. No Officer or Member of the Newington Art League shall be paid for any office or related service rendered to or for the League.
9. Members and Officers shall be reimbursed for Newington Art League expenses. Expenses in excess of $25.00 shall require Board approval.
Article IV. Officers:
Section 1. The officers of the league shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer
Section 2. Officers shall serve a term of 2 years.
Section 3. Duties of Officers shall be as follows:
The President shall:
- Preside at all League and Board meetings.
- Appoint the Chairpersons of Special and Standing Committees
- Assist the Chairpersons in appointing members to their committees.
- Act as ex-officio member of all committees.
- Provide an agenda to all Board members one week before the monthly meetings.
The Vice-President shall:
- Assume, in the absence of the President , the duties of that office.
- Perform any other special duties assigned by the President.
The Secretary shall:
- Keep and maintain the minutes of the meetings.
- Attend to all correspondence
The Treasurer shall;
- Receive and pay out all League monies.
- Keep complete records including a current accurate membership list..
- Submit a financial report at each meeting.
- Present a yearly report at the June meeting.
- At least one month before the June meeting the Treasurer’s records shall be submitted to two members in good standing for auditing.
- Submit an estimated annual budget at the September meeting.
Article V. Elections:
Section 1. Nominations shall be made by a nominating committee of three active members.
Section 2. The nominating committee shall report the slate of officers at the April meeting to be voted upon at the May meeting.
Section 3. Voting shall be by secret ballot unless there is only one candidate for the office in which case the candidate may be elected by acclamation.
Section 4. A new Board shall be installed each June
Article VI. Meetings:
Section 1. The regular business meeting shall be held on the second Wednesday of September through December and March through June.
Section 2. Voting at meetings shall require a minimum of 1/3 of the members be present
Section 3. Special meetings may be called by the President or any Committee Chair.
Section 4. Executive Board meetings shall be held between monthly meetings at a day and time agreed to by a majority of the Executive Board.
Article VII Executive Board:
- The Officers, Chairpersons of the Standing Committees, and immediate Past President shall constitute the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board shall have general supervision of the workings of the League and shall transact business between monthly meetings
Section 2. Committees
A. The assignment of duties in all committees will be at the discretion of the committee Chairperson.
B. All committees shall have an annual budget to work with based on an estimation of needs for the year approved by the Board at the first meeting of the League year.
C. Resigning Committee Chairs shall turn over all League related documentation to the newly appointed Chair upon termination of position.
Article VIII. Dissolution:
Upon the dissolution of this corporation, its assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501 (c )(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding sections of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose. Any such assets not disposed of shall be disposed of by the Court of Common Pleas of the county in which the principal office of the organization is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said Court shall determine, which are organized and operated for such purposes.